Ayurved Shikshan Mandal Ashtang Ayurved College founded by Late Vaidya Hari Balkrishna Panranjape, Late Vaidya Ganesh Shridhar Mulaye and Pandit Ramchandra Dattatreya Kinjawadekar in the year April, 1936 is titled ‘Ayurved Shikshan Mandal’. This institution is already registered under Indian Society Registration Act XXI of 1860 and Bombay Public Trust Act 1952.
Objectives of the registered trust then were as follows:
To import all sided and scientific education of Ayurveda
To inculcate the knowledge of hygiene
To aid the prevention an cure of disease
To look after the public health
Present Founder Members of Ayurved Shikshan Mandal
Through selfless painstaking efforts they have sustained the institute through rough time
Dr. M. H. Paranjape, Secretary
Ayurved Shikshan Mandal
Founder life member and member of the governing council
Dr. Mrs. Meera Paranjape,
Founder life member and member of the governing council of Ayurved Shikshan Mandal, Pune since 2010.
The committee intended to execute followings for achievement of their objectives
- To conduct Ayurvedic school and college
- To use Sanskrit and/or suitable language as the media of education and to teach by the method of concentration on a particular treatise (Granthapradhanapadhati – with Ayurvedic Compendia) and by method of compendious study of a particular subject or subjects from various treatise (Vishayapradhanapadhati – as per subjects)
- To arrange for the coaching of students for Sanksrit (language and grammar) necessary for the studies of Ayurveda and teach basic sciences of Sam khya, Yoga, Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Poorva – Mimansa, Uttara – Mimansa etc
- To conduct a chemical and pharmaceutical laboratory In meeting of the General body of Ayurved Shikshan Mandalpune, held on 05-11-1943, following amendments were proposed and accepted unanimously To manufacture Ayurvedic Medicines and other allied chemical products and to arrange for their sales in furtherance of sub clauses (d) above
- To run dispensaries, hospitals, maternity homes, health centres and infant welfare centres etc
- To construct a dissecting hall
- To form a museum of minerals, vegetables, biological drugs and medicines
- To develop a pharmaceutical farm
- To carry the research into and edit/publish works on Ayurveda and allied subjects
- To start periodicals on the said subjects
- To hold conferences of well-versed persons in Ayurveda and allied sciences
- To prepare public lectures on the above subjects
- To facilitate the comparative study of other systems of medicines
- To conduct other things as will be found necessary for the enhancement of the above mentioned subjects
PIONEERS PERSEVERANCE – FORMATION OF AYURVED SHIKSHAN MANDAL
Freedom fighter, renowned Vaidya (Ayurvedic Doctor), teacher, scholar and researcher, “Haribhau Paranjape” (1907-1983) was a man of many parts but the one common motif in his life was unwavering commitment to the common man. Inspired by Mahatma Gandhi, he dedicated all his efforts to the betterment of the lives of the poor and underprivileged in India.
He was born into the humble family living in the village on the western coast of India. At the age of 12, he came to the educational and cultural center of Pune. Earning and doing social service while he studied and obtained qualifications in Ayurved in 1927. The very next year he started Ayurvedic dispensary for the benefit of the poor. Then Gandhi entered in his life- giving him the mission of taking medicine to the villages.
Taking up the challenge, Haribhau toured the Palghar region of Maharashtra on foot in 1928-30, covering nearly 200 villages. The task of providing medical care went along with the courage to fight for India’s freedom.
In 1936, Haribhau’s vision of his own contribution to Indian society crystallized. He decided to dedicate rest of his life to spread the message of Ayurved in country through; personal practice, education and establishment of inexpensive hospital facilities it could be afforded by the poorest of the poor. Thus was founded the Ashtang Ayurved Mahavidyalaya in Pune.
AYURVED SHIKSHAN MANDAL is a private institution in compliance with the provisions of the societies
registration Act (XXI of 1860).
For years it ran without government grant; it survived and thrived only on the enormous goodwill earned by Haribhau Paranjape. Thanks to the goodwill, and the untiring efforts of several individuals who have been associated with the Ashtang Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, this institution has now flowered into the large, modern establishment with core strength, to expand even further in the next millennium.
AIMS of Ayurved Shikshan Mandal
- To impart all sided and scientific education of Ayurved
- To inculcate the knowledge of hygiene
- To aid the prevention and cure of diseases and to look after public health
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES of Ayurved Shikshan Mandal
- To conduct Ayurvedic Schools and Colleges
- To run dispensaries, hospitals and health care centers
- To form a museum of minerals, vegetables and biological drugs
- To carry on research in Ayurved
- To the edit/ publish works on Ayurved
- To start periodicals on Ayurved
- To hold conferences of well versed persons in Ayurved and Allied science.
- To arrange public lectures
- To facilitate the comprehensive study of other systems of medicine
- To Upgrade Clinical Trial Unit
- To establish Regional Research Laboratory for Ayurveda
COMPREHENSIVE EDUCATION IN AYURVED
The institution has the recognized college of Ayurved under the umbrella of the University of Pune Since 1971 & now under the Maharashtra Arogya Vidyan Vidyapeeth, Nashik it has been offering 4 ½ + 1 years graduate programme in Ayurved, leading to the bachelors degree in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery. (BAMS).
Over 1000 students from all parts of India have undergone this programme.
The college has the permanent staff of 17, and its facilities for students include a library stocking over 7000 books and 25 periodicals, a herbarium and a 100 bed in house hospital for practical training.
The alumnus of the college includes several leading practitioners of Ayurved in the country.
Ayurvedic Shikshan Mandal’s Ashtang Ayurved Mahavidyalaya